Friday, March 18, 2016

Sailing Off in a New Direction

For the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2016 I was planning to continue making the postage stamp stars I stumbled into late last year. As I said in the previous post, I've been a bit distracted since the beginning of the year. Consequently I've made very few stars per the colors suggested for each month's challenge, at least in comparison to last year's Ohio stars! These stars were made in blues with a touch of purple for January, brown with a touch of pink for February, and now purple with a touch of yellow:



I haven't been around Blogland much either lately. But one visit in particular made a lasting impact. Gayle is such a bad influence. Go check out her tee-tiny boats in this post. I'll wait here.

Are they cute or what?! But no way am I making three inch blocks. At least not right now (never say never after all). I couldn't get them out of my head though, and finally ended up making this:


Another postage stamp star in purple and yellow, and a little green ship. Twice as big as Gayle's though. ;- )

Before I knew it I'd started my own fleet.



So far they only feature the main color of the RSC for each month. However, I've discovered that I can get sails for my ships out of pairs of 2.5" scrap patches that I can't make work in shoo-fly or churn dash blocks. I'm thrilled with this discovery because it has led to a whole new long-range plan for putting all those shoo-fly blocks to good use. Woohoo!

I'm linking up with the other Rainbow scrappers this weekend. Who knows, maybe I'll even get around to see what they've been up to!

10 comments:

  1. Yours is an armada of galleons, so they're allowed to be twice the size! Such fun, and I can quite see why they're addictive. For me, the twin masts and two lots of sails is more interesting. And you know I've always loved those postage stamp stars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to read about your stitching and discovery ... those boats really are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely purple and yellow postage stamp stars. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the new fleet!! That Gayle is SUCH an enabler. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Gayle is a bad influence. Don't let her take the wind out of your sails! Cute little sailboats, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've inspired me. Those schooners remind me of the one I spent a week on with my uncle's family, sailing around RI waters, Newport. Do you have toe pattern? I also love the larger size and have lots of,HSTs in the 2.5 size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will not start a new set of blocks. I will not start a new set of blocks, I will not...

    I love your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I prefer to think of myself as a GOOD influence. After all, look at how many smiles those cute little ships are going to cause!
    8)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lot of us had the same reaction to your sailboats - time to give them a try! They are so fun in the RSC colors! I love your stars, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sailing fleet, what a super quilt you'll have at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.