Tuesday, January 27, 2015

African Print Flimsy

Sorry to make you wait so long to see how my latest quilt top turned out. Because it's horizontally oriented it won't fit on my design wall and the rest of the house is too gloomy to get a decent picture. My Dear Husband pinned it up in the living room and used his fancy lighting equipment to photograph it for me. Let's see if I can access those pictures now...

They're probably big files too.

Yippee! Here's the top:

If you look closely you can see I used the same print at the top and bottom edges that went around the panels to build them up to 24" x 32". I used a vertically oriented print down the two sides to get the width I wanted. This will measure about 60" x 80" when it's a finished quilt.

I had just enough half-square triangles and one whole cloth square to make two columns to go down the center of the back of the quilt. Then I cut the rest of the end border print into two pieces and sewed them to each side of the column.

Oh! The picture is upside down!

I still have quite a lot of African print yardage but nothing else from that collection looked good with what I had on the back at that point. I found a batik in my stash that worked but had to add a bit at the top and bottom to allow for long-arm quilting. I'm pretty pleased with the results. There's no hurry that I'm aware of to get this quilted. I don't really feel like messing with binding something this size just yet anyway. My arm and shoulder are feeling better these days but they are not entirely healed by any means. I don't want to do anything that will set back the healing process!

I have a table-runner-type project that I need to tackle next. It's a commission to complete something another quilt maker started. I have cuts of fabric and a handful of blocks but no pattern or notes about the direction she was headed. I do know where the runner will be used and that will help to establish the final dimensions. I'm just hoping that once I finally get inspired this project will take off and be done in a short amount of time. The banner is meant to be installed in time for tulip season around here. Time is rapidly running out!


  1. Oh this is such a wonderful finish...love that fabric...hugs, Julierose

  2. This is just gorgeous Sue. The colors and patterns harmonize with the featured panels perfectly. Great design work!


Due to my health issues I am frequently unable to respond to your comments but please know that I do try to acknowledge your thoughtful responses. I cannot respond to 'no-reply' bloggers either, much to my frustration.