Friday, July 27, 2012

Crown Blocks

When I made my last appearance I had these Crown blocks on the design wall:


My original plan was to make 36 blocks and then add a checkerboard border of the same black and white prints. As I approached the 36th block I stared doing the math for the checkerboard. It rapidly got so complicated that I finally decided to just make more Crowns to get closer to the sixty inches I was shooting for. I had to go out and buy more black and white prints - oh darn! - in order to maintain the variety of prints I wanted.



In the end, making 49 blocks wasn't as tedious as it sounded when I was first considering this project. They go together pretty quickly even though they look a little involved.


The current plan is to frame the blocks with a narrow border of one of the whiter prints and then bind the quilt with black. So far I have the blocks sewn into rows...


And of course I'm cutting patches for my six inch Shoo Fly blocks out of the leftovers!


While this has been going on I have also been working on the challenge for the La Conner Quilt Museum. It's looking a little iffy as to whether I'll make the deadline or not. Even if I miss the deadline I intend to donate the finished product to the Museum for them to sell out of the gift shop.

Oh, and I have sewn the chevron blocks into a top since my last post too. I don't have a picture of it yet however. It was going to be a quilt for Foster Care but now I'm thinking I'll send the top (and maybe fabric for the back if I have something appropriate) to Phoenix Quilts for one of the victims of the recent wildfires in the western states. Do you have a quilt or a top you could send? Or maybe you could make a donation for batting; there's a handy-dandy Paypal button at the top of Phoenix Quilts' blog page. ;- )

1 comment:

  1. You're not just talking to yourself! I was just clicking through the next blog button, and I stumbled across your blog. I've never really paid too much attention to quilts and quilting, my grandmother has a few quilts, but she does not make them herself. That being said, I find your quilts very attractive and, since I appreciate all forms of art as well as the effort required to make them, expect to see me back here and commenting on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.