Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Progress

Due to technical difficulties yesterday I could not make the promised second post. Blogger was having issues when I was making my attempt. There seems to be a specific time of day in this part of the world when the system is overloaded or something. Anyway, here we are.

What I wanted to show you was the now-complete baby quilt top:




The multi-color print reads very dark in the photos. The contrast isn't quite so stark in person. You can see that I tried to distribute it evenly over the surface of the quilt. That helps, I think. I had to take off the bottom "border" after I first assembled it because it was a quarter of an inch narrower than the rest of the quilt top. I enjoy improvisational piecing but that would have been a construction challenge I wasn't willing to cope with. So I took out the checkerboard unit, made a wider one, and put it all back together. Much better! Now it just needs to be layered and quilted or tied. I'm not sure whether I have a piece of batting in house that will fit this quilt. It's been too hot to go digging in the closet to find out. And I got distracted by a new project. But more about that later...

A few days back I finished filling out the tree trunk on my journal quilt with sequins. I really like the way it looks. I have a couple of ideas about where to go next with it but haven't made up my mind yet. It's been pretty muggy and warm here since then and I have not been inclined to do handwork as a result. Too sticky!







And speaking of sticky, if I don't get back to the sewing machine now it will be too hot to do the pressing that needs to be done inbetween seams...

2 comments:

The Lone Beader said...

This tree is beautiful!!!

Also, thanks for stoppin by my blog, today. Cheers from Boston=:)

sammy said...

This is stunning!!!!!!!!!!! What texture!