Monday, September 2, 2024

August Stitching

 For week 32 in the stitch journal project spearheaded by Kathryn of k3n clothtales we took inspiration from an exhibit of Judith E. Martin's work. One piece of Judith's that I found particularly inspiring was a long, long scroll of fabric couched down with embroidery floss. You can see pictures of it here. My sample piece is only 5" wide and 6.5" long. 

This is the front...


And this is the back of my piece.

The following week we observed the nature of cloth in the making of a fabric collage. I only used various cotton cloths whereas others included silks and linens and other materials. I did include a strip of handmade paper on mine: the pink in the upper right hand corner.

 
 We used the mola's of Panama as inspiration for week 34. The women of Panama do needle-turn reverse applique in their work. Some of it is amazingly intricate, made of many layers of different colors of cloth. My sample was only made of three layers and I left the edges raw. (It's meant to be a snake in case you were wondering.)
 
 
 
 The last week of August we used our orts - leftover pieces of thread long enough to be useful. I made rectangles of satin stitched embroidery floss out of my longer pieces and French knots with the shorter bits. In the end I had some room left over so I made cross stitches with a few strands of perle cotton too.
 

 
Kooky's postcard prompt (KoolKookyKreatures) for August was "Harvest Home." I chose to celebrate the fact that honey bees harvest pollen and store it in their home with some couched yarn and tiny bee charms.
 
 

 
 And now we're in September. The postcard prompt is "Autumn Hygge." I'm not sure at this point how I will approach this one but it will be fun to ponder!

1 comment:

  1. OMGosh Sue i love all your pieces but especially the BEES!! I'm rather fond of bees. lol AND the snake is fabulous! You are such an inspiration! What a great August of stitching you have had!!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.