Thursday, August 15, 2024

Scrap Happy in August

 I've been playing with my tiniest scraps lately. When I'm processing scrap fabrics anything that's less than an inch and a half wide goes into one of three lunch size paper bags: one bag for warm colors, one for the cool hues, and the third gets all the neutrals (black, white, gray, ecru to brown). I've discovered I really enjoy stitching these pieces down in fabric collages. One format to use is a strip or scroll rather than a square or rectangle. The base I used for this scroll was a strip of muslin only 2.5" tall. I've wound the completed scroll on a wooden clothes peg.

Unrolled, the scroll measures about 24" long. 

This is the back of the work.

I used a variety of threads, stitches, and embellishments. Most of the threads are Sulky 12 weight cotton or size 12 perle cotton. There's regular embroidery floss too.


I don't have a plan when I make things like this; I just stitch according to what I feel like doing in the moment.


This end is actually where the scroll began. You may not be able to see, but that gap in the stitching in the first section is where the white-on-white fabric is printed with the word CRAFTS.

Now my little scroll is all tied up and living in a pretty glass dish I picked up somewhere along the way. 

Scrap Happy Day is hosted on the 15th of each month by Kate in Australia and Gun in Sweden. I invite you to visit the regular participants who are listed below. And if you'd like to share what you've done with scrap materials or how you've repurposed items you can leave a comment with either Kate or Gun to be included the next time around. 😊

KateGun, Eva, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Tracy, Jan
Moira, SandraChrisAlys,
ClaireJeanDawnGwen,
Sunny, Kjerstin, Sue LVera, 
 Ann, Dawn 2, Carol, Preeti,
NóilinViv, Karrin, Alissa,
Lynn, Tierney, Hannah, Maggie



3 comments:

  1. These scrolls are fabulous! I love the way you mix the colours and the density of stitching. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.