Monday, August 28, 2023

Junk Journal Quilt

Whew! Our temperatures have dropped again to a more normal level for this part of the world at this time of year. We might even get some much needed rain in the next few days. 

I've been nibbling away at the sashing for the junk journal quilt I introduced in this post (toward the bottom of the post). Once the top was assembled according to plan I handed it off to our son for the quilting step. Because the top is so busy we decided a simple meander would do the trick. Plus, to my mind it replicates the line of glue used to stick various papers in place in a junk journal. 😁 Here's the finished quilt:

There's just a narrow brown binding around the perimeter. 

Some detail shots:



There are very few actual traditional quilt blocks. And if I do say so myself, I think I did a pretty good job of blending the 12" blocks I built and the sashes. Overall this was a fun quilt to make even if it was taxing at times. 

I wasn't sure what I would use for the back of the quilt. I prefer to have my backs relate to the front rather than using any old print or color. Of course I didn't have anything in house that would go the distance or be appropriate. When I saw this print online, and only four yards available, I snapped it up. Four yards is what I needed for this 60" x 72" quilt.

It may not relate directly to the theme of a junk journal but the colors were perfect. I think it adds a nice vintage touch too.

This quilt will be going to the Disabled Artists Foundation, Inc. to be used for fund raising purposes. And now I have a pile of leftovers to put back into the stash. Very likely the smaller pieces will turn up in a future Scrap Happy Day post. 😊


6 comments:

  1. Sue i just LOVE this quilt! Maybe more than anything i've seen you make . You did a beautiful job! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely all over, that backing is perfec t and the darker binding ties it all together. What a grand quilt for the fund raising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it a lot--the overall look is balanced and appealing. Since I can't tell the block from the sashing, you must have blended them very well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do love this quilt - of course, I love scrappy low volume ones and this just ticks every single box! Beautiful!!!!! Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't begin to tell you how much I love this quilt. It is beyond gorgeous!
    I sense blocks and sashing and am wondering what size they are and what size the finished quilt is. How many different fabrics/fabric collections did you use?
    I have a collection of fabric with roses and am now wondering if they could become a quilt somewhat like this (though it would never be a delightful as this quilt!)
    I think this should raise a lot of funds for the Disabled Artists Foundation, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I look forward to seeing more about it on the dAFI site.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.