Friday, July 7, 2023

The Great Big Little Stitchery Swap

As I may have mentioned previously, I've finally fallen into the YouTube rabbit hole. One of the channels I follow is hosted by Annie Claxton (otherwise known as ArtyFartyAnnie). She indulges in a wide variety of artistic endeavors, slow stitching among them. To that end she has created the Great Big Little Stitchery Swap. She has invited her followers to make 4" squares, stitched in any way they enjoy most, to swap with other members of the community she has created. How could I resist?!  At this point I've committed to about half a dozen swaps, half overseas and half here in the USA.

This is the first little square I made:

The idea is to leave a seam allowance around the four inches so the recipient can finish the squares in whatever way they choose. They could become a wall hanging or pages in a book or even a scroll I suppose. I have no idea yet what I might do with the squares I receive. 

This is the second square I've made:

These first two squares will go overseas. It was a bit of a struggle to keep them flat enough to go into an envelope at the base rate for international postage. I'm always wanting to add buttons or charms or beads and sequins. 😁 Fortunately, that little button in the middle of the yellow lace nestles down into the center of that circle of lace sufficiently to keep the whole piece flat enough. I find it interesting that I don't particularly enjoy making yo-yo's (otherwise known as Suffolk Puffs) but I do like gathering laces or other strips into circles. Possibly it has to do with the fact that I can begin with a strip rather than having to cut out a circle.

It looks very much like this won't be the only stitchery swap Annie organizes. She has also set up an art swap for those who prefer to play with pencils and paint and the like. We have until the end of August to make and mail our stitched squares. This will be an ideal activity for the times when it's too hot to have the iron on for my piecing endeavors. I just have to be careful not to do too much hand work in any one day. And to take regular breaks. My wrist and hands have been feeling much better of late. I don't want to aggravate those muscles and ligaments I need and use the most!


2 comments:

  1. Those little squares are so cute! Anyone who receives them will love them~ Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these, the first because the tiny details and butterfly are adorable, and the second one because I love the colour and vitality. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.