Saturday, February 25, 2023

A Quilt Top in Two Acts

 The quilt top I started and shared in my Scrap Happy Day post has been complete for over a week now. Life has been happening, as it does, and frankly, I forgot about posting anything. Let me show you what I've done.

I began with these pieces. The panel was new but the smaller bits were fussy-cut from remnants of previous projects.

The little star block on the lower right hand side measured five inches. The request was for a quilt about 48" wide and 75-80" long. I only needed to add about seven inches to each side to achieve that width. The first thing I did was to frame up the fussy cuts. A few random strips had to be inserted to bring the length up to where it needed to be. I'd purchased a yard of an orange print overlaid with black fililgree at some point that turned out to be perfect to fill in between the central panel and the sides. That completed the upper two-thirds of the quilt top.

The colors in the central panel and the sashing strips are a closer match in person than the photograph depicts.

 

I'd started the lower portion of the quilt top with the two skeleton panels. They only needed some framing in black. The strip above it was made of more fussy-cut bits pieced log cabin style.

That made up the lower third of the quilt top. And this is the assembled flimsy:

 I think it came together out of an abundance of disparate parts pretty well, if I do say so myself!


3 comments:

  1. I totally 'get' life happens! So glad you showed this though! Beautiful! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed - well done! Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this, it would absolutely grace the wall at the Addams Family mansion. It's extremely elegant, like a vintage arrangement of family portraits. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.