The decision to do embroidered sketches to fill my book for The Sketchbook Project was a great motivator. First I had to reduce the applique pattern I embroidered in response to a friendship block request (see previous post) so a second version would fit in the sketchbook provided by TSP.
Several of the images out of the camper coloring book will need to be reduced as well, but not quite as drastically.
My original thought was to nearly duplicate the friendship block I'd stitched, just smaller. Very quickly it became apparent this would be a different trailer altogether.
Try as I might, I couldn't get the right side of that decorative strip to behave. Oh well, the window over it isn't straight either. This is my Quirky Victorian. (I've just christened it. I'll break a bottle over the hitch later.) Ta-daa:
A few detail shots:
|The widow's walk/luggage carrier.|
I went for an awning over the double window this time around. The window is just too small to put anything on the table though.
I used lazy daisy stitches for the hubcap instead of the wrapped rose . Part of the fun of doing a series of these for The Sketchbook Project will be experimenting with different stitches in different applications. I'm working intuitively too, not planning anything out very far in advance, mixing commercial flosses with Nancy's hand dyed lovelies. The decoration along the roofline of this caravan would be larger in scale if I'd left it for later in the process. I won't be putting any of the embroideries in the sketchbook until they're all done so I can pick and choose if I end up doing more than will fit in the book (the books have to be kept under an inch thick). There's always the chance I'll take out the first attempt and do it over again before then too. For now though, I'm contemplating the next caravan... ;- )
I'm linking up with others taking stitches by hand for the pure pleasure of it over at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.