Thursday, February 25, 2016

Endings and Beginnings

While I was away from the blog I finished the twin-bed-size quilts for our twin granddaughters.

Fronts on the left, backs on the right.

The top I built out of my Parts Department was backed, quilted, and bound. Here it is at our local quilt guild meeting this week, photographed by one of our guild members:

about 85" x 85"

I pulled together most of the 12" Ohio star blocks I made over the course of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge last year to make this top, also photographed at the guild meeting:

about 84" x 84"
I think quilting will really make this top sing.

I've just completed another large top too but I think I'll give it it's own post. (Hopefully I won't forget or get distracted!)

Now it's time to get back into making blocks. Late last year Gayle and I were pushing each other to make orange Ohio Stars. I've lost track of what she may have accomplished since then. I only had half a dozen when I put my head down to begin building these bed quilts. The other day I had occasion to get out some orange prints so I made another 9" Ohio star for the collection. That started me wondering how to set these new blocks. Right now I'm considering an alternate block to put between the stars...


At the moment my plan is to make a quilt I'll keep for myself. A personal quilt is going to feel small after building the bed size tops I've been working on lately!

I believe I will whoop it up on Friday and link up with the other rainbow scrappers Saturday morning. :- )

14 comments:

  1. Every one is so lovely, and you have been so busy. Grandies will love their own quilt, backings as pretty as the fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have been busy Sue! All gorgeous - your granddaughters are lucky girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of beautiful finishes! The twins are going to be so delighted with their 'same but different' quilts, I love the Parts Department quilt, it's sophisticated and elegant, and the Ohio Star quilt just goes to show what you can achieve with scraps. Bravo, a superb result for all the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being away from the blog can definitely be rewarding, as you show here. I'm thinking of taking a break myself...Your orange Ohio Stars quilt is lovely, and I like your thinking of an alternate block. Wow, your twin granddaughters' quilts are beauties! The only thing better than making a quilt for a grandchild (I have a grandson) is seeing them snuggled under it, or under more than one that you've made, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a couple of orange blocks, but then I got distracted with the Twinkle project (an anniversary quilt for my daughter and son-in-law to celebrate 20 years!) and set them aside. Now I wonder what I did with them...?
    I love all your big quilts - they're going to be so perfect! Love your orange stars, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME Twin Quilts AND Parts Department quilts, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tops all finished. What an accomplishment. I like the white between the stars, which would make room for some special quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finishes! The Ohio stars make such wonderful quilts. Your grandkids have two wonderful quilts to cuddle under.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finishes, all of them. The new stars are looking interesting. Now what will you put as an alternating block? Guess I'll have to wait & see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful twin quilts! You've been very busy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful star quilts.Love the center of Parts Department.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun to see all those quilts come together! Looking at the stars at the bottom - you could put just a neutral in all the empty places and quilt it to death. Call it modern with all that negative space! It would be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like orange! Have you seen Wayne Kollinger's blog? He does lots of posts about mixing blocks and on the right side you can find links to posts about particular blocks. Worth a look and will save you trying to figure out what the block combos will look like! http://waynekollingersquiltblog.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Ohio%20Star

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed looking at all of your quilts - they are all so beautiful! Fun to compare the twin quilts to see that they are not exactly alike!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.