Saturday, July 25, 2015

Parts Dept. Project Part II

If you've just come here from the link party over at SoScrappy you might want to scroll down one post to see where this story begins. I'll wait here for you. :- )

With the Shoo-fly rows in place all I needed to achieve 80" length were two rows of 12" blocks. That's simple enough, I have a box overflowing with 12" Ohio Stars! But wait, I need to widen the flimsy too. If I want 12" blocks across the top and bottom I'll want 12" on either side as well (to avoid any fancy math or piecing). I can use 12" Ohio Stars up to a point but there's an 8" gap that will need to be filled. Hmm...

How about an 8" Sawtooth Star with 2" strips on either side? Simple, straightforward, and it maintains the star motif that predominates. There aren't many 8" blocks in the Parts Dept. and no appropriate stars so I made a couple.




I'm especially happy with the one with the heart. :- )


It looks square again at this point but it's really 60" wide and 56" long. All I had to do was to give the flimsy a quarter-turn and select the stars to make up one end border.


And then turn the whole thing upside down and do the other end!



Here's a pretty good shot of the finished flimsy.



This is the top I want to get quilted up and bound in time to be a part of the Scrap Quilt Challenge 5. I've never participated in that before but if ever a quilt qualified, this one will! I think there are less than a handful of prints that show up more than once in this top. Most of the stars were made as a direct result of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Several of my red stars for July have been put to use in this top! You can see wha the other RSC bloggers have been up to over at SoScrappy today.

18 comments:

  1. Oh! Just LOOK at at all that scrappy goodness!!! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Your star quilt is stunning. I love the heart in the star block. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW--ever since I read Jinny Beyer's books , I've wanted to make a scrappy quilt with no repeats...yours is so nice--lovely work...hugs, Julierose, congratulations on this feat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top. I loved your explanation. I have been thinking about making an extra block each time other than my two ongoing RSC projects for my parts department and your post is spurring me on to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this! I am such a sucker for stars, and this just appeals to me on all levels!
    I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how all the "parts" came together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is a GREAT contender for SQC5. The look of 'making the blocks fit' accentuates the whole scrap concept, and you managed to achieve balance when it's all said and done. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're so funny.
    great blocks too
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how the star blocks give the whole thing a little twinkle, and your solution for fixing the size is very clever. Can you actually see a reduction in your scrap collection, or is it going to take a few more of these to have that effect?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing a flimsy. I ♥ it. It sure does fit the bill for the Scrap Quilt Challenge. Good luck with that. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see how your mind works when building a quilt. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seeing stars! Every size, kind and color. Your math skills are very good to be able to achieve this scrappy look. And how good it must feel to put all those blocks to good use. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much scrappy happiness. Hard to go wrong with stars. You made them all fit beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love watching how you make all the scrappy blocks and then how you fit everything together so well. I learn so much from watching you. And I think I may have to start a Parts Department as well. *grin*

    I think this will be serious contender for the Scrap Quilt Challenge! Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! Great use of a bunch of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Outstanding and absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that final shot. This is a GREAT scrap quilt, and a great star quilt, too. It reminds me so much of many antique quilts I've seen in the "make it fit" way. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thoroughly enjoyed reading these posts about the stars in your Parts Department becoming a wonderful quilt. LOVE this quilt top of stars!
    I have an orphan block box and might be able to work them into a colorful, scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.