Monday, January 23, 2012

Quick Project

For the last week or so I've been working daily on a project that involves a lot of hand work. I'm not ready to share it with you yet. Julie might be interested to see some of the elements I've been using though... ;- )


But then I realized that my twin granddaughters have a birthday coming up in less than two weeks. Eeek! Daughter and I conspired on a purchased gift but I wanted to contribute something more personal as well. Something from Grandma.

Em sent me a selection of girly prints a while back, and all along I've thought they would be fun to turn into a doll quilt. Or two doll quilts in this case! I added only one print, sewed up some Rail Fence blocks, and in no time had this (well, before borders):
I hope you can see it, the colors are very light. In fact, those prints were so unlike anything I buy for myself that I had a hard time coming up with a border fabric I liked. The one I ended up using was also a gift to me - about 15 years ago! It happens to have been purchased by the twins' great grandmother. I think that's pretty neat.


Here you may be able to see the prints Em sent me. There's Glinda the good witch from the Wizard of Oz and another sprinkled with crowns and wands, and the yellow is covered with purses and things. Very cute, just very pastel. I'm not a pastel kind of gal. ;- )

So with Ruby Blue's speed we were able to get this pair of quilt tops put together in an afternoon. The quilts will finish at about 22 inches square. I still have to find backing and get them stitched together but that shouldn't be a big deal. I don't plan to use batting, just the two layers so the quilts will be easy to use to swaddle a doll. I'm also planning to make pillows to go with the quilts. Hopefully you'll get to see those in a few days. :- )


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.