I trimmed off the bits she left loose, added a sawtooth border and a few other strips I had laying around. Then I got stuck.
I made some experimental blocks and tried them around this original piece but nothing really clicked. It sat on the design wall for a couple of weeks while I read various works of fiction to try to clear my mind. Finally one day I asked myself what was the most dramatic thing I could think of to do to Janet's poor neglected block. Then answer was to quarter it. Slice it into four smaller pieces.
Well, that was just a bit too drastic for my nerves but I did take the rotary cutter to it.
That seemed to get the ball rolling again. I made more experimental blocks and played with them around the starter panel.
I quite like the wavy line that would have been created by the stick blocks but the light blue was too overwhelming in my eyes. There was just too much of it.
Inbetween the blocks I'd been piecing together leftover strips and bits. In a bit of serendipity there was just enough to make a great border for the top of the piece!