Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Evolution of a Quilt Top

Back in January (was it January?!) Janet sent me this block that she had put together intuitively. My challenge was to add to it, also intuitively.


I trimmed off the bits she left loose, added a sawtooth border and a few other strips I had laying around. Then I got stuck.

I made some experimental blocks and tried them around this original piece but nothing really clicked. It sat on the design wall for a couple of weeks while I read various works of fiction to try to clear my mind. Finally one day I asked myself what was the most dramatic thing I could think of to do to Janet's poor neglected block. Then answer was to quarter it. Slice it into four smaller pieces.

Well, that was just a bit too drastic for my nerves but I did take the rotary cutter to it.


That seemed to get the ball rolling again. I made more experimental blocks and played with them around the starter panel.

I quite like the wavy line that would have been created by the stick blocks but the light blue was too overwhelming in my eyes. There was just too much of it.

Eventually I came up with a selection of blocks I was happy with.

Inbetween the blocks I'd been piecing together leftover strips and bits. In a bit of serendipity there was just enough to make a great border for the top of the piece!


This humble effort and a selection of the unused blocks will be winging their way back to Janet as soon as I can get someone to go to the post office for me. :- )

4 comments:

  1. You brave, brave woman you! I just love how you used a break then dashed and slashed and came out with such a great effect. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun when the dam breaks and we just go with the 'flow' that bursts forth? Love the piece, and I'm thinking Janet will too! Great job! Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! Your daring but of cutting paid off nicely, the results are very dynamic.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.