Friday, February 20, 2009

Trying Too Hard

I have the binding on the flannel 4 Patch baby quilt but am saving the hand sewing for tomorrow. I'll do that while I listen to Car Talk on our local NPR station. Well, it will take more than just that one hour to get it done, but I promised myself I'd work on another project I have promised someone and save the handwork for the weekend. I had a little difficulty getting the binding on to my satisfaction so I figured taking a breather from that project would be a good idea too.

Apparently I need more of a break. Or a different kind of break. Or something. My plan for today was to make a rectangular pillow for a child. Does this look like a rectangle to you?

I didn't think so. (If it does you need to see an optometrist right away!) It measures 13" square. It was supposed to be 12" x 15." I know, it's not a big deal, but I haven't adjusted to this unexpected change in direction yet. The decision will be whether to settle for a square pillow or to chuck it in the orphan box and move on to Plan B. {sigh}

Maybe while I'm sewing that binding down tomorrow my subconscious will come up with an exciting, or at least interesting, solution. I know the problem is that I'm trying too hard. I'll get much better results and be happier in the end if I just let myself do what comes naturally.

3 comments:

  1. How did you do that! You have reversed the problem most of us have at least once or twice (I am not admitting to more) in our quilting career, when we are trying to make square blocks and they come out rectangular!
    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strip Pieced borders top and bottom would elongate that stubborn square into a rectangle and allow you to play with more bits of fabric (perhaps a pair of critter eyes in some of those strips?)... yes, trying too hard can be stressful. Breathe in... breathe out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look on the bright side -- technically, a square is a type of rectangle. (At least if I remember my high school geometry correctly!) It's an adorable block and would make a great pillow -- or a super addition to an orphan quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.