Friday, March 15, 2024

A Very Catty Scrap Happy Day in March

First off,  I have a couple of scrappy finishes to share. This Scrappy Trips quilt had to wait a while to get quilted. When the time came James used a variegated thread and a simple meander to do the job.

60" x 80"

The second finish, this scrappy Remixed Geese, was a more recent project. In fact, Scrap Happy Day in January this year was the motivation to get it going.

54" x 66"
To finish it off I went through my binding leftovers, pulled out all the blues, and sewed them together for a scrappy binding.

This month I sewed up some more of the cat blocks I've been making out of scrap fabrics.

I wondered how many cats I had when this batch was done. I was shocked to see that I have 126 cats altogether. I had no idea there were that many. The question now is what to do with them? It's a harder block to work with in the usual way because it finishes at 5" wide and 9" tall. I can't just plug them into a quilt plan the way I would stars or other square blocks. I've had some ideas but nothing has gelled at this point. Not that all the cats need to end up in one quilt! In fact, I suspect they will make appearances in several quilts. The block is just so easy to make and so useful for larger scraps. 

Scrap Happy Day is hosted on the 15th of each month by Kate in Australia and Gun in Sweden. Participants span the globe, posting according to their own time zones. If you'd like some motivation for using up scrap materials hanging around in your nest leave a comment on either of their blogs. Theirs are the first two links in the list below. And then be inspired by what's being done to recycle, repurpose, or otherwise keep things out of landfills around the world.

KateGun, Eva, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Cathy,  Tracy, 
JanMoira, SandraChrisAlys,
ClaireJeanDawnGwen,
Sunny, Kjerstin, Sue LVera, 
Ann, Dawn 2, Carol, Preeti,
NĂ³ilinVivKarrin, Amo, Alissa
Lynn, Tierney and Hannah

4 comments:

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.