Friday, April 15, 2022

Scrap Happy in April

I'm also happy to report that I've been doing enough sewing lately that I've been able to assemble assorted scrap blocks between seams of major projects. These two lego blocks for starters...

They will finish at 12" when I get around to using them in a quilt. 

I've also made these three 15" Scrappy Trip blocks.

But the main event, for this post at least, is the Parts Department Quilt (PDQ) I've been building. When last you saw it last month it looked like this:


I had to turn it 90* to keep it fitting on my design wall. That's when I added the 8" stars to either short end.


Next I tried some Scrappy Trip blocks.

They were too big, too busy. Overwhelming. That's when the lego blocks came out.

I needed some compensating strips to make them fit however.

I decided to keep to the theme and just use a variety of scrap strips. Then I put on the lego blocks.

At this point the top would finish at about 60" square. That felt big enough, either for a child or a lap quilt for an adult. I stay-stitched the perimeter and will let the binding be the final frame. Still have to come up with a back for it but haven't had that kind of energy yet. 😊

Scrap Happy Day is open to anyone who wants to share how they are using or repurposing scrap materials. Participants span the globe, everyone posting on the 15th of the month in their own time zone. Not everyone posts every month but their blogs are certainly worth a visit any day of the month!

KateGun, Eva, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Cathy,  Tracy, Jill,
Claire, Jan, Moira, Sandra, Chris, Alys,
Claire, Jean, Jon, Dawn, Jule, Gwen,
Bekki, Sunny, Kjerstin, Sue L, Vera,
Nanette, Ann, Dawn 2, Bear, Viv,
Preeti, Edith, Debbierose, Carol



4 comments:

  1. Love the finished photo, this would give anyone joy and warmth, the borders are lovely, but the centre with the stars is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dynamic quilt! It inspires me to see your process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's a triumph of parts. So beautifully varied, with lots to keep the eye interested without being crazy and confused. Love hearing your rationales for the different arrangements and why you do and don't like them.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.