Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Scrap Happy in February

It's time for the link party hosted by Kate (in Australia) and Gun (in Sweden) wherein the participants share something they've made out of scrap materials. I've actually been able to do some cutting and sewing since last month, for the first time in what feels like forever. Even so, I'm having to pace myself. It's frustrating. 

Long-time readers may remember that I paired up my scrap 3" (finished) HST's with no particular purpose in mind a while back. Well, I decided to go through my 3" squares as well and sew them to the HST's in four patch blocks. There may be a name for this block but I don't know what it is. The unit is frequently found as smaller patches in larger blocks. To me they look like butterflies. 

I made some of these last year or so with 2" (f) patches. I didn't find those 4" blocks particularly inspiring but I can see using these 6" versions in my scrappy quilts. I have a few more ready to be assembled but had to stop sewing when my hand started complaining. 

Meanwhile, James has quilted up the Welcome Blanket I showed in my last post. Once he had it loaded on the long-arm he only spent about 15 minutes doing the quilting, just a simple meander. It only required a small amount of binding too and I was able to use a scrap piece of fabric. James ended up sewing most of the binding down for me once I'd applied it to the quilt.

The photo isn't great because it was hung so close to the ceiling. Below you can see the stripe that I used on the back.

This house image seemed especially appropriate for a quilt welcoming a family to a new home. 😊


Here's the link list for others who regularly have something to show made from scraps. Not everyone will have a scrappy post every month but their blogs are still worth a visit. Also,we are all around the world, and everyone posts on the 15th in their time zone so it's worthwhile to check back a day or two later.

KateGun, Eva, Lynn, Lynda,
Birthe, Turid, Susan, Cathy,  Tracy, Jill,
Claire, Jan, Moira, Sandra, Chris, Alys,
Claire, Jean, Jon, Dawn, Jule, Gwen,
Bekki, Sunny, Kjerstin, Sue L, Vera,
Nanette, Ann, Dawn 2, Bear, Carol,
Preeti, Edith, Debbierose


5 comments:

  1. Hands are so vital to a quilter, so do cherish yours. It would be a tragedy if you couldn't make your gorgeous quilts any more. We are all of us getting older. Yesterday, mine were quite sore after stitching down about 280 inches of binding, so it's just as well I don't finish a quilt too often~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I must share that the house block is my very favorite!

    ~Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is lovely, Sue. I especially like the little house and I agree that its a nice touch for a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bright and cheerful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your block with the butterflies are great! And so is the other finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.