Thursday, September 18, 2014

Gotta Keep That Wheel Turning

I've just finished binding the Parts Department quilt. It may take a few days to get good pictures of it. I haven't even seen it on my bed yet! There are three other quilts ready to be bound and two tops at the shop waiting for their turn to be quilted. This puts me at the end of my creative cycle. It will be pleasant to sit and stitch bindings down by hand but once that's done it will be time to start all over again. The question looms, "What next?"

While the subconscious stirs the possibilities I will probably just sew scraps. I received a lovely thank you note recently on a notecard that featured an antique quilt.


It's called "Little Cedar Tree" but I can't for the life of me see why. Another name for the block is Birds in the Air. That I can see. Studying this card I realized that some of my scrap triangles could be sewn into these little blocks...


Pretty simple, but effective and useful. I've never been one for large blank alternate squares because I'm not technically a quiltER. If I use alternate squares to set these units they'll only be about 4.5 inches. I can live with that. :- )

Of course I continue to make my 6" Shoofly and Churn Dash or Hole in the Barn Door blocks.




I've also been going through my 2.5" strips and making Scrappy Trip blocks:


Somehow I still have so many scrap strips (assorted widths and lengths) that they're crowding each other in the closet. I really think I'm going to have to make another string quilt of some sort. We'll have to see what develops as the stew simmers... ;- )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.