Monday, July 21, 2014

Hatched!

I've had my laptop back for nearly a week now. Unfortunately my body hasn't been co-operating much of late. It's always something isn't it?!

Let's get right back to the chicken quilt I was working on before I dropped my laptop. I had the central feathered star surrounded by an assortment of blocks featuring chicken prints.


I remember commenting that I wasn't sure about the print I'd chosen for the sashing. I thought it might be too busy. Barbara was right; it looks fine to me now. :- )

I had to pleat the flimsy on the design wall in order to build the top out to the width I wanted for the finished quilt.





Here's what the finished flimsy looked like:


You'll notice that the blue print border does not extend all the way across the top and bottom. That's all there was!

Because the top is so busy I asked for a simple meander when my son did the quilting.



It's rare that I will choose a light color to bind a quilt but it was the best option I had in this case.

I haven't been able to get a full shot of the completed quilt yet. In the picture below you can see what I chose for the back. It's not quite the same red as what's in the front but close enough.


I finished another flimsy while the laptop was away. I'll have to show it to you in my next post. ;- )

3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE it!!!

roccagal said...

what a fun quilt! I luv chickens too! I really like how you adapted and made design decisions based on the amount of fabric you had!
That is my fave way to create a quilt!
Worked out wonderfully!

Cher said...

love how this turned out! you did a wonderful job with all those blocks...and your feathered star is fabulous! how wonderful to have a son who will quilt for you!