Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hope Flimsy

Hello again friends. I've been away longer than intended this time due to a cold my husband brought home with him from work. I've turned the corner now and am slowly improving, so that's a good thing.

Since last fall there's been a project in the works here in the Magpie's Nest that I have yet to share with you. Not a big deal really, but the time has certainly come to show it to you!

I wanted to have another go with black and white prints but this time I wanted to throw in one additional color. I'd also been wanting to try out another of the block designs in Karla Alexander's book, Stack A New Deck. This was the first batch of blocks I made:


And then a few more...


And then they sat for a long time while I worked on other projects. Those projects are now in the queue for quilting so the black and white prints came back out to play.


I decided at the outset that this would be a personal snuggle quilt, not officially twin size, so when I had a 7 block by 9 block setting I was happy with I started thinking about borders. (The blocks finish at 7 inches.) The green batik inner frame was a pretty easy decision. The outer border proved a bit more challenging however. A debate arose whether to stick with the black and white prints or to use the border to pull in more color.




In the end I decided to stick with my original idea and use the black and white. The quilt top feels so light and fresh!


I wish I could provide you with better pictures of it. I wish you could see it in person! It will be about 61 x 75 when it's quilted and bound. And now, on to the next project!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choice on the B&W border - I love this color combo (have made two - one gifted, one to be gifted)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like he b&W with that springlike green--cute and perky quilt!! Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this combination! Did I ever tell you that Karla Alexander lives in Salem and belongs to my quilt guild? She shows up now and then and always has new projects, rulers, books, something. A creative gal..just like you! Love this. We had the colds too as does just about every person I know! My quilting guild meeting had so many hackers and sneezers I felt like I needed a face mask to not catch a different version! No fun. Hope you stay better!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.