Saturday, October 21, 2017

Penguins in Pink Scarves

There's a new arrival on the horizon in our clan. To that end I've been pondering baby quilt options. At one time I purchased somewhere between a half and a yard of this delightful print:


Since the baby is due at the end of January I thought this might be more appropriate than the more summery print I was considering. The trouble with both prints is that their framed images do not fussy cut to easy-to-use sizes. Eventually I discovered that I could isolate a 15" square of this print without compromising the penguins. Some while after that it dawned on me that I could make 6" blocks, separate them with 3" sashes, and come up with alternate 15" units. There's nothing like a good plan to get things moving. :- )

After I cut the 15.5" squares from the yardage I realized I could also cut 3.5" patches featuring the penguins and snowflakes. I'd have preferred to have included more of the borders around the images but I could make 3.5" patches work. In fact, they led me to the solution for the 6" blocks.


Except that there weren't quite enough snowflake panels to go the distance. Fortunately it didn't take long to come up with a solution for that little dilemma.


So now I have a top that looks like this:


I'd really like to add an outer border but don't have enough of that black print to do the job. I do, however, have some penguins left over that I could use for cornerstones in the border.


We'll see if I can find a suitable border print in the coming week.

While I was working on this project I came across a long-forgotten pink remnant. I cut it up to create a 10" Wrench and another Turkey Tracks block. Over the course of the week I also managed to get a a few other blocks made out of pink scraps so I'm linking this post with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. :- )



11 comments:

  1. Lots of PINK sewing at your house and that Penguin quilt is going to be ever so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so darn cute ! When you finish it up that is going to be one lucky little baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, the pink penguins in scarves!! So cute! And perfect for a baby born in January, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely penguins quilt. It's so cute! Love your Turkey Tracks too. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those penguins in their pink scarves are just too cute! Great solution too. Panels can be tricky to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink or blue, love the layout, and your solution to the blocks and borders is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unstoppable, that's what you are. The baby penguins are very cute, and well done finding a good way to use them. One lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's very clever solutions with your pieces. The result is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such loveable penguins. The heart is a perfect addition for a lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A clever use of the fabric which will make it unique to your clan's baby. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Penguins! So cute, and you came up with a great way to use this fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.