Saturday, July 22, 2017

Rollin' Along

It's been another rough week over here. It's warm enough to warrant having the windows open to keep the house comfortable but those open windows allow toxins to drift in, most of the time so subtly that I'm unaware of what's happening until it's too late. So, lots of headaches and less productivity than I would like. In spite of all that I have a finish to share!

The decision to do embroidered sketches to fill my book for The Sketchbook Project was a great motivator. First I had to reduce the applique pattern I embroidered in response to a friendship block request (see previous post) so a second version would fit in the sketchbook provided by TSP.


Several of the images out of the camper coloring book will need to be reduced as well, but not quite as drastically.

My original thought was to nearly duplicate the friendship block I'd stitched, just smaller. Very quickly it became apparent this would be a different trailer altogether.


Try as I might, I couldn't get the right side of that decorative strip to behave. Oh well, the window over it isn't straight either. This is my Quirky Victorian. (I've just christened it. I'll break a bottle over the hitch later.) Ta-daa:


A few detail shots:

The widow's walk/luggage carrier.


I went for an awning over the double window this time around. The window is just too small to put anything on the table though.


I used lazy daisy stitches for the hubcap instead of the wrapped rose . Part of the fun of doing a series of these for The Sketchbook Project will be experimenting with different stitches in different applications. I'm working intuitively too, not planning anything out very far in advance, mixing commercial flosses with Nancy's hand dyed lovelies. The decoration along the roofline of this caravan would be larger in scale if I'd left it for later in the process. I won't be putting any of the embroideries in the sketchbook until they're all done so I can pick and choose if I end up doing more than will fit in the book (the books have to be kept under an inch thick). There's always the chance I'll take out the first attempt and do it over again before then too. For now though, I'm contemplating the next caravan... ;- )

I'm linking up with others taking stitches by hand for the pure pleasure of it over at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! This is going to be a winner, when they are all done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series is going to be unbelievably cute! Your original one (which I currently think of as La Caravana de Guadelupe...) has obviously inspired you, and I'm hoping there'll be an Art Deco version, a boho version, a surrealist version, etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. The luggage rack reminds me of a crown. Perhaps this is a royal caravan in disguise! It is so sweet, Sue. I am sorry that the toxins have been affecting you lately. It must be a very difficult condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! How I love quirky! Your work made me smile! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go camping in this cute little caravan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little campers are an adorable creative project! I'm so glad you're going to share your progress with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you're suffering again Sue but at least you have a very cheerful project here to keep your spirits up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the different stitches that you used on this one little camper. It is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is sooo fun! So many unique details in the stitching... I do hope you will include it in your book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another wonderful little trailer. I like the widow's walk addition! I can never do anything the same way twce.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.