Sunday, June 25, 2017

Second June SAL

There have been several bouts of needlework here in The Magpie's Nest since the last stitch along check in. As the heat increases in this part of the country there may be more needlework than piecing. I use the iron constantly while I'm sewing, and without air conditioning the studio gets uncomfortably warm in a hurry!

Since last time I've finished this credit card size needlepoint case:


This is the second one in this particular design I've stitched.

I finally figured out what to do with the case I ordered without any design stamped on it too. I won't go into details about all the options I considered. It was Nancy's hand dyed floss that helped me move forward.


I borrowed from my quilting experience to create a simple, graphic design I could count out without too much trouble. I didn't want to have to make a bunch of color decisions either so I pulled out a variegated thread I'd picked up on sale here in town and used it for my flying geese and pinwheel. The colors in that floss made the background color choice easier. I went with this deep purple for excellent contrast. All the brain work is done now; I can pick this up and stitch mindlessly whenever I need to!

I've also made progress on my Virgin of Guadalupe. She'd been outlined the last time you saw her. I filled in her robe a bit with some split stitches and decorated most of her dress with upright cross stitches.


I had plans for the hem of her dress but they didn't materialize the quite the way I originally envisioned. There's still some room to fill in too. I'm thinking leaves.


I tried out circular buttonhole stitches for the clouds (or whatever they're meant to be) at the Virgin's feet. Some turned out better than others, which I suppose is to be expected. I'd never done that stitch this way before. She is meant to be a practice piece after all. ;- )


I think that about covers it. There's a lot of impressive work being done by the participants in this SAL. We live all around the world too. So why not take a world tour to see what everyone else is working on?!

9 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that it has been too hot for doing much at all!
    Your little pieces of needlework are lovely and I love your 'practice piece' of embroidery- such a great and lovely design and you are interpreting it well. I love your clouds (or whatever they are!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying geese and that purple, gorgeous. Specially when I clicked and could see the colour so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely! you seem to have an impressive stash of these zippy purses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the colours on your new purse, and the idea of recreating a patchwork design is brilliant! The Virgin, too, is looking lovely, I particularly like the edging on her robe and the clouds at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the patchwork idea for the latest card case :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have something interesting in the works, Sue! Your embroidery piece is really starting to come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the design on the zippy purse. Great colour choice too. Pretty embroidery on the virgin piece too. She's looking lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the design on your purse, you're making good progress on your embroidery too, very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a lot of fun to me! I think the clouds look great. You've managed to get the stitch right and turn them in different ways to give the illusion of clouds, so well done!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.