Monday, May 22, 2017

Hands 2 Help 2017

This year's Hands2Help quilt drive is coming to a close. I actually had my quilt top finished early this time around. Which was a good thing because it took more time to get the binding on and stitched down than I would have expected. But the quilt was laundered and labelled and sent on its' way last week. Woohoo!

Of the three official charities in the program this year I chose to make a quilt for the International Institute of St. Louis. These folks help immigrants and their families become productive new Americans. I was grateful for an opportunity to show my support for those fleeing dangerous or poverty stricken areas of the world. Of course the first thing I did was to rummage about in my Parts Department to see what blocks jumped out at me, eager to be put to good use.

I figure everyone can use an extra chicken in their pot (or basket, as the case may be).


From there I pulled out other blocks with chicken prints or in warm tones. I began with a medallion setting in mind...


...but eventually turned it into more of a strippy set with long sashing between three primary columns.


James did simple allover quilting with loops.


After making a binding that turned out to be a poor color choice I found a better, darker tone and put that on. I'm very happy with the way this turned out, and even happier to have beat the deadline with time to spare!


You can see the other quilts that have been made for this year's H2H quilt drive over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. If you ever need inspiration for a new project the link party will be a great place to look. :- )

6 comments:

  1. Wowser, Sue, that's amazing!!! Thanks for being part of H2H 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's another beauty! Those two big stars with red in them are splendid, and the chicken adds a lovely whimsical touch. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure this will be welcomed with open arms by whoever receives it Sue - Lovely work by you (and James!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo! A strippy medallion - I love it!! A gorgeous quilt with some of my favorite blocks. You're going to make someone really happy with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely great! See how much smarter you are than I? I will be sewing down binding tomorrow! While I'm shop hopping with a friend, part of the time.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.