Thursday, January 3, 2013

Welcome 2013

I hope my readers had a warm and happy holiday season. We enjoyed time with family and didn't have to face any weather related challenges, thank goodness. This time of year holds special challenges for me so I've been out of commission more than I'd like. For my first post this year let me show you some of the gifts I made and one I bought for myself. ;- )

My daughter requested aprons for her four girls. The first two were made from really old yardage I had on hand. I felt fortunate to find a co-ordinating polka dot to use for the pocket. The trim I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics was the perfect addition to make the aprons really sparkle.



The younger girls aprons were made from different prints but the trim worked on their pockets too. The vertical strip you see on the right is one of the waist ties.



My friend C~ has a December birthday. I made this little ATC for her:


It was fun to do a bit of beading again. I'm not sure whether I'm going to follow through on my intention to complete the 2012 Bead Journal Project at this point. I have avoided signing up to participate officially for 2013. I seem to be making utility quilts more than artwork these days.

I made a couple of simple friendship blocks over the holidays too. Then there was the request last January for a snow person friendship block... I have struggled with fulfilling this block request ever since I first learned of it. I don't applique. It could have been pieced but I didn't get any intruiguing ideas to pursue with that process. Finally, on a trip to my LQS late this year I found some Battenberg lace doilies that I thought could work for the body of a snowman. Once I started playing around it didn't take long to develop a rather unique version of a snow lady!


The crown charm is inscribed with the words 'Be Bold.' The arms are made of a wood product. I don't know how well you can see them but there are plastic leaf beads sprouting from the limbs. You should be able to super-size the photo by double clicking on it. Looking at this now I realize it's missing something: my little signature sequin bird. Gonna have to stitch one on before the block goes to its new owner!

Finally, I bought myself a present this Christmas...


The deck of inspiration cards from C&T Publishing was actually in my stocking. These are colorful and will be fun to shuffle through as needed. The set of batik strips and additional cuts were my present to myself. The strip set is called Pink Lemonade by the manufacturer. It's the color palette I naturally gravitate to, pinks and yellows and oranges. Right now I'm thinking I will be making a reversible quilt for myself this year. It will be Pink Lemonade on one side and something with my other batik blocks on the second side. Before I can tackle that however, I have to finish up my Sketchbook Project and get it in the mail. And then there's the row-by-row quilt on the design wall that has been slowly growing... Hopefully it won't be another three weeks before my next post!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting fabrics in "your" colors . . . love the snow lady block!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your making of aprons..such fun! I made sets one year for my special girls and they loved them! Wondered how you were doing...just busy like all of us and now the recuperation following the holidays! OH, I have another Asian inspired AAQI quilt up at auction..as of yesterday, it didn't have an opening bid yet..any interest in placing a big ;} Hugs, hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.