Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What If...?

With the first two rows of my Halloween quilt complete this is what I had on the design wall:

The best question I've found to ask myself when designing a quilt this way is "What if...?"

What if I arranged the bigger blocks this way instead?

That spreads the green out a bit across the surface of the quilt top. So if I leave it like that how will I fill out that upper row? I need some more big blocks...

I found several little 4-patch units in my bag of Halloween bits and blocks. Those often go in the corners of more complex blocks... Let's see, what if I do this?

Well, I'm not crazy about the lack of contrast between the candy corn rectangles and the central 4-patch unit but it'll do.

I had some charm squares from a swap in my bag too. I turned a couple of those into square-in-a-square blocks and then made a couple more out of prints from my stash. A giant spider web (that glows in the dark!) and the row was complete.


That was quite fun! At the end of that day my desgin wall looked like this:

Two more rows to go. :- )


4 comments:

  1. Really like the new layout and watching your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your halloween quilt....and the way you placed your framed blocks makes sense. I am not fortunate to have Gwen's first liberated quilting book, but have the new one along with the collaborative quilting books.

    This September my sisinlaw and I are attending the Beaver Island Quilt Retreat for the first time. Had Gwen and Freddy as teachers a couple of years ago and wanted more!


    I have a blog and am hosting a fabric giveaway today, so if you want to drop by, y'all are welcome!

    www.northernnewmexicoranchito.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun quilt. I really like your top row with all that wonderful green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, great fun. We have Christmas in July, I think you started Halloween in July...and you know what..just about the right amount of time! Love your design wall!

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.